Visit any playground from New York City to New Orleans, from Portugal to Senegal, and you’re apt to see girls playing hand-games. Or, as the girls who play them call them…Miss Mary Mack, Mack, Mack; or Pat-a-Cake; or Miss Susie Had a Steamboat, to name just a few.
What’s in a game? Let’s Get the Rhythm, a documentary film that will be playing at this year’s Margaret Mead Film Festival, explores the hidden-in-plain-sight history of this classic childhood pastime.
- Play the long game
- Practice public speaking
- Ask for help
- Don’t be perfect, be willing to learn
- Don’t be rattled by sexism, but do stand up for other women
- Your appearance shouldn’t matter, but it does
- Listen to others in the workplace
- (But not too much)
- Forget insults
- If you think you don’t want to run, think again